Heroic actions help two escape Terre Haute apartment fire; victims listed in critical but stable condition

TERRE HAUTE, Ind (WTHI) – Firefighters were on the scene of an apartment fire in southern Vigo County on Wednesday morning.

The fire started around 11 a.m. at the Maryland School Apartments located at 777 East Springhill Drive.

“We didn’t know what was going on, so we walked outside, and first we saw flames and a whole bunch of smoke in the next apartment,” said Aaron Wells.

After hearing screams, Wells jumped into action. He picked up a grill and used it to bust open an outside window and the two residents were able to escape. “They were both thinking they were going to die. It’s like something out of a movie. Something you don’t see every day. It’s just nerve-racking right now,” said Wells.

Firefighters extinguished the flames in a matter of minutes. Emergency workers took a man and woman to Terre Haute Regional Hospital. The two have since been taken to Eskenazi Health in Indianapolis.

Officials said the male victim told investigators he works with body molding plastic for his car, which could have been a factor in causing the fire.

“It’s under investigation by our investigators on scene. The victims made reference to working with some sort of plastic. We don’t have specifics about that,” explained Frankel.

Crews contained the fire to the first story apartment, but without the help of some heroic neighbors the situation could have been much worse.

“Honestly, it was just like a movie scene, that’s all I can say. I’m still shaking right now,” said Wells.

The victims have been identified as Dakota Elliott and Kelsey Middleton.

Both are in critical but stable condition.

News 10 has a crew on the scene and will have more details on News 10 at Midday and as they become available.